Essentially I see our work as that of creating a safe, collaborative environment. Ultimately my goal is that our work empowers you and attends to, above all, the clients’ highest quality of care. Here are areas of focus:
Developing as a therapist
- Assessing and uncovering underlying issues, diagnosis (if necessary), exploring interventions/plans based on assessment.
- Building a strong and personalized theoretical outlook/philosophy.
- Meeting clients where they are at; How to form deep/meaningful helping relationships while holding clear boundaries and staying focused.
- Prioritizing urgent/practical matters as necessary; Resourcing clients.
- Helping clients find their inner voice & develop their own sense of agency.
- Honing core skills: verbal/non-verbal, reflections, congruence, timing etc.
- Understanding of and adherence to ethical standards and practices.
- Inner work. Processing thoughts/feelings/sensations/beliefs. Getting unstuck; Learning from these processes personally and professionally.
- Transference/countertransference issues; Discovering/naming projections.
- Self awareness: strengths/challenges, being open & receptive to feedback; Social and cultural awareness; How identity/history/context shapes your outlook.
- Receiving help and support, being willing to be vulnerable, while also developing self trust and finding your own inner authority.
- Self care – staying grounded and in alignment with your highest values; Finding meaning, joy, connection etc in your self/relationships/personal life. Developing work-life balance.
- Responsiveness, professionalism, marketing, networking
- Billing practices, time management, organization skills
- Paperwork (disclosures/intake/ROI/notes/forms etc)
- Entrepreneurial spirit: Identifying your unique gift, exploring what offering that looks like, and taking steps towards bringing those ideas to fruition.
Models: Person-centered, existential theoretical models, relationship focused, cognitive-behavioral, holistic, attachment based, trauma informed, gestalt and body based approaches, mindfulness oriented, the Enneagram.